Christmas is over, all of the sudden it’s January! Even though it is the start of a new year, for a lot of people, January is usually the worst month of the year. Some people have spent a lot of money on christmas and some people feel low as the festive season is over. People may feel fat due to the amount that they have eaten for the past few days and there is just not much to look forward to in January. The cold gets to a lot of people as well, where the lack of sunlight leads to people usually having low, irritable moods and constantly wishing for summer.
However, there are some ways I’ve thought of to make your January a more positive and enjoyable month:
- Planning for the new year: The new year is about reflecting on the previous year and thinking about the next coming year. Some of you may have in mind new years resolutions or goals that you hope to achieve this year. You may either write these ideas down or if possible organise and start fulfilling your dreams now! Examples may be booking your dream holiday, applying for a new job or getting that gym membership.
- Exercise: I would suggest this all of the time, not just for January! Although I would say that exercise is even better for brightening your mood during those dark, cold months. I attend yoga classes once a week and I would really recommend it as I feel more physically and mentally fit from doing this. However, you don’t need to attend regular classes, workouts in your room or a walk around the park is just as good.
- Make the most of cold, winter nights: January and even winter isn’t going to last forever so why not enjoy it! This is the time for long, hot bubble baths, lighting lots of candles and staying cosy in bed watching TV – while drinking a hot chocolate with marshmallows and cream 🙂
- Making your house as tidy and cosy as you can: As many people will spend most of their time indoors during this month, it is an ideal time to clean out and tidy up the house. I have started to love searching for winter home and bedroom ideas on Pinterest. You can be as creative as you want. This may even lead to a new project or goal.
- Using a slow cooker: The use of the slow cooker is perfect for cooking warm food like soup this month. Even if you are not a lover of soup, there are lots of recipes to try. I would recommend using this YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCesQZVZFV3rShIRErEln3FQ
Enjoy January and happy new year!